Career Development Tip # 12 - Attitude is a Choice


Career Development Tip #12 - Attitude is a Choice!
I have heard this early in my career and my response was, "yeah, right, coming from the guy who is in charge and not taking care of things, thanks for sharing this epiphany from your cozy office over there while we are all out here sweating bullets doing the work"...and my attitude stunk.  Maintaining a positive attitude when in a difficult circumstance can feel like pushing a two ton rock up a hill with nothing but a stick.  Food for thought: 
  • You don't have to agree to concede. Maybe it is being raised in a military family, but I learned early on in my career that "above your pay grade" means I don't have to worry about it, but I also don't have to be responsible for it.  Sometimes when I don't agree I simply mind my business.  Instead of voicing my opinion  when someone asks I say, "you should go to talk to (insert name of responsible party here) because I am not involved in that" "or that is the responsibility of (insert name), they can talk more knowledgably about what they are doing and why".
  • Conceding doesn't mean you don't care.  Conceding means you care more about the overall good of the company and the people that count than some of the issues that arise from time to time.
  • Mind your business well.  Do a really great job managing your responsibilities, and be proud of that, it usually helps keep a positive perspective.  Talk about the great things that are happening and you will be seen as a supportive professional within the organization.  Being seen in this light will give you more influence.

Comments